June 23th, 2024
Bretton Woods, NH
9:00am Elite Wave
9:15am Intermediate Wave
9:30am Chill Wave
Learn more about the Delta Dental Mountain Challenge with Series Cash Prizes!
Stats: 2.75 miles, 3500ft of gain
The course starts at the base station at the Cog Railway in Bretton Woods, NH. Runners will take the path alongside the tracks to the summit of Mount Washington. The course begins on dirt/gravel where is gradually becomes steeper as you approach Jacobs Ladder which is about a 37% grade. From Jacobs Ladder the runners will begin to experience the large boulder fields that make the Presidential Range one of the most technical areas in the country. The race ends on the summit of Mount Washington alongside the Cog.
The weather can be extreme and temperatures can be in the 70’s at the base and snowing at the top. Winds can be intense.
The views from the course are incredible as you look at the entire Presidential Range from both sides of the course.
- BIB pickup will be Sunday morning before the race. It will be from 7am to 9am. Pre race briefing will start promptly at 8:45
- Elite Wave – 9:00am
- Intermediate Wave – 9:15am
- Chill Pace Wave – 9:30am
Spectators: Spectators may book Cog Railway tickets for our three race waves to cheer on your runner. Book Tickets Here
Aid: There will be water at Waumbek Station which is about a mile up the course.
Crew: No Crew allowed
Pacers: No Pacers are allowed
- Your family and friends are allowed to meet you at the top. With the race landing on a Sunday in 2024, they would have the option of driving the auto-road, taking the historic Cog railway while passing runners on the way or hiking up. Cog train tickets.
- Riding the Cog Details: A one of a kind experience in New England! The biodiesel trains take approximately 45 minutes to climb the 6,288 foot Mt Washington. There are three trains running each hour and many of the trains will sell-out in advance. Head here for additional details, pricing, and registrations. Each passenger pays $74 roundtrip to ride the Cog train to the summit and back.
- Auto-road Details: the entrance to the auto-road is around 45 minutes from the start line. There is a $40/car fee plus additional fees based on the number of passengers in the vehicle. It will take around 25-30 minutes to drive to the summit from the base of the road.
Details on hours and fees for the auto-road HERE
Mountain weather is subject to extreme changes and a large portion of the course over the mountain is fully exposed to the elements. Be responsible.
We don't have mandatory gear but here is our recommended list:
- 1 liter of fluids
- 200 calories
- Windbreaker/rain shell
- Space blanket or emergency foil blanket
- If you withdraw from the race between 30 days out from the event and more than 5 days from race day, you will receive 50% of your entry fee towards the next years race. Within 5 days of the event you will not receive a credit.
- We will be enforcing Leave No Trace Ethics and we will disqualify anyone caught littering or being rude to hikers.
- This is a very special event and we expect every runner to respect the volunteers, the trail users, the property owners and the mountain.
Can I opt out of the train ride to lower my entry?
- We are not offering an option to not take the train as we have to pay a per person fee based on entrants. Your gear will be brought to the summit and the race does impact the Cog Railways business operations and we want to make sure they are compensated for allowing us to block trains and adjust their schedules.